Skip to main content

Namma Bengaluru



Now that a decade has passed in the garden city, it warrants a space in my blog as I treasure the moments which defined a part of me and my character. When I got the job offer during second year of my college, it was obvious that I would be part of the Chennai office as my seniors and other known beings. This led me to learn Tamil alphabets and prepare for a live in the hot sun which would have been a unembellished thing considering my high humid upbringing. Destiny had a different design for my life which arrived in the form of an offer letter to join the Bangalore office. I had to unlearn all those Tamil letters and words which I had guzzled during my preparations.

Bangalore had already earned a notoriety among the people around me those days when people considered it too modern and fast to accept. A city which was destined to affect their children as far as noble parents where considered in those days.Such a thought of the generation induced some fear in my mind but as always I was ready to face it head-on. My friend SR reached home in the evening which we had planned to start our journey to Bangalore. My parents all excited and considerate that I feel easy, led us to the airbus which was one of those first rides to the city which later became a part of life. As all my fellow Bangaloreans might have experienced, the bus. I was already accustomed to sleep in the push chairs during my three years stay at Coimbatore which preceded garden city. Slept most of the journey with wonderful dreams which sprayed confidence and hope.

Woke up with the famous words which you always hear when you travel to Bangalore from gods own country - "Madiwala, Madiwala, Madiwala..........". I helped my buddy SR to wake up and be prepared to keep those right foot on the ground first where we expected my mom's colleague and family to be present to welcome us along with my other classmate SK who would have reached well in advance as he had a shorter journey to make. The first gust of strong cold breeze almost blew my mind away. A perfect welcome by the wonderful city to remind us, we are really going to chill here :)...I realized this cold morning is what I wanted to see always and felt there is really something magical here. Without much formalities, family one had taken us under their wings and took us to a hotel near famous Lal Bagh after a brief introduction. As it was next day after the new year and we traveled on Jan 1st, the hotels were mostly crowded. We found a room in the famous stay. The receptionist wondered from which place I was when I asked her for A/C room and confirmed her assumption of me being some fool when I said, hot water is not required in the bathroom. This was my response to her when she warned that hot water won't be there post 9:30 a.m.

Knowing me some of you could guess I am definitely not going to reach there same morning when I have to take charge. We had whole day for ourselves to prepare for the big next day. Uncle had warned us about the sudden dusty whirlwinds and looters in the form of autowalas. We had planned to start our day with a breakfast in our hotel and stroll down the roads to find shortest walk-able path to office. We wanted to avoid the autos at all cost and also wanted to find out whether the distance was really walk-able. Our family doctor had arranged a place to stay through his acquaintance and we had to reach there after first days training at work. We met with his friend and he guided us to the place where three grandmas where living and needed some security in the form of three musketeers. We started our life in Bangalore in that single large hall of a room with three rolled beds on the floor with no laptops or internet or luxury.

Fast forward ten years, I now rethink why am I addicted to this city. What is it that keeps me return to this adopted home of mine? Am I in love once again? Maybe yes, loving every bit of this wonderful city which gave me work, love, life and accepted me to blend with it and its culture. The sweetness and rhythm of its language and welcoming nature of its people. A typical day for most Bangaloreans are from its parks, the large lung space that it boasts of. Wherever you are in Bangalore there is always some place or other to fill your lungs with cool fresh air even in the midst of the city where we have the Cubbon Park and Lal Bagh. I could also call Bangalore as a heaven for vegetarians as there is always enough choice and availability of veg food all around the city. The special half tea or coffee which kick starts most human engines. The richness and variety of the food here has always intrigued me and made me feel that there is really a space for nutrition in these minds. Almost everyone you meet in this city are modern but God fearing which is a rich taste to have as in most other places too much modernity raises untoward questions on God and his followers. Not sure whether there is another city in this country where good talents are respected and received in workplace as in here. Even amidst the crazy traffic and non law abiding riders, there is a calmness in breeze and its way of soothing the thoughts of people. The unending chain of darshini restaurants, the omnipresent Adigas and MTRs. This city provides a kind of freedom to its people which allows them to move around more freely that others and be independent. You could notice almost equal and ever growing number of female riders and drivers on the road. The small packs of book shops with a earnest selection of books from previous century. I do realize that the world around me is being engulfed in global warming but if the whole world is going to get hotter and warm, Bangalore would still remain a charm!

Once upon a time it was been called as retirement home for the rich but today it is the sakkath hot place of youth. A city which has space for all and taste for all kinds of life which can just be termed as flavorful. I have met wonderful people in Bangalore from across India who had all migrated with their heart full of dreams and hope, glad that this city exists so that all those dreams come true one day as it has done for many million souls already and teach generations to dream and work towards!

Comments

  1. Good one Arun..I can feel the chillness and Charm of the Bangalore in this blog. I have experienced the same but only difference is I don't know anyone when I arrived this beautiful city. This city is not known for hot weather but for hot people. I miss those Bangalore days .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome writing! When I was reading the words, I could feel the sensations of the Bangalore as if they were real! Love and miss Bangalore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading...happy that I got your time...all your comments are valuable for me.

Popular posts from this blog

The Day - Ayodhya

The much awaited 22-Jan is here and the whole India is galloping towards Ayodhya. Once again it is time to cherish the return of the King who once ruled the heart of this young nation India. While the praja(common folks) are busy preparing the Ayodhya for the much awaited prathistha(consecration), the emperor, his family and associates are preparing for the big day. The complete ownership of the pandal readiness had been given to Laxman who seems to be taking support of his cousins for driving the creativity, ensuring a pleasing colorful stage, altar and seating area. We could hear the thump of an old bullet which is moving towards us in a predictable pace. Few of my friends told me it can only be the man of the moment who takes pride in owning the responsibility of security for the whole event and who is more than capable to protect the Lord himself. Yes, I am talking about Hanuman who was riding his vintage bullet towards the pandal where me and others were eagerly helping out Laxman

What is success?

Of course, we all agree that the word success definitely means different to many of us. We hardly get time to think in detail in our life about success that we reach the end of course. We have heard that writing a journal, having a plan, sticking to plan and doing many such actions help us get closer to success. But again, something that can’t be done regularly gets useless action either ways and we stray.  I would need you to relax a bit before we go through this topic together. Yes, it means getting your favorite coffee, keeping kids busy, finishing your chores and all those untold busy things that you are needed for, and finally arrive at a time where you can read this. I know that is where I lose most of the people who want to read it as that time never comes. But unlike other topics, this one need us to be truthful to ourselves. Let’s start with an exercise of writing down what success means to us. Top 3 things you want in your life or you to be associated with each decade of your

What’s real in real estate?

  A dream house is a dream that most of the people currently living on Planet Earth carries. We grow up seeing how our parents put together all their life’s earnings or a significant portion of it in making a house. Mankind takes this dream of having their own separate shelters wherever they are. The word settling has been closely associated with having your own house. People feel life is well settled once a house is acquired. Remember our forefathers would have started from sharing a cave together with others, a tree shed with others, a large abode with extended and joint families, a house boat with others wherever they were thousands of years ago. As we disintegrated and got more nuclear our shelter needs continued to grow and reach an ever granular need of one house for each family to multiple houses per family. The society had tagged respect to the amount of property one holds and often believe that is the show of wealth that determines one’s value among the peers. In 2024, we need